Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D



I was excited to see this, simply because I never got to see it on the big screen. And really wanted to! There was the apprehension that messing with it would ruin it. I don't understand the technology involved here, but I was willing to try it out.

This is, in my opinion, one of THE BEST MOVIES EVER MADE. It's perfect. It's stunning to look at, it's funny, it's dark and threatening, slightly gruesome, moving, and ultimately, a story of hope with a happy ending! The soundtrack for this musical is incredible. This is a movie that, in the theatre, had the audience applauding at the title, and again at the end. Viewers wore their Jack Skellington T shirts to the show.



So the 3D thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It's hard to get used to; the eyes need to adjust to it. In some places, it was difficult to follow the action across the screen; the Pumpking King's long spidery legs often turned into a blur. Often things just looked fuzzy. (Or maybe I'm getting old and my eyes are fading. My 12 year old tells me she had fuzzy eyes too so it can't be my elderly eyeballs.)

At its best, the 3D treatment worked well with scenes which were already layered. The ghosts, clouds, and fog turned out well. The amazing Ogie Bogie sequence looked pretty good.

I don't regret plunking down my hard earned money to see it. It was still awesome to get the big treatment...but I'll be just as happy to watch my disc at home on my 20" TV with my surround sound.

3D treatment: 2 out of 5 Tractors.

the movie itself? FIVE TRACTORS!!!!


What's this? WHAT'S THIS?

No comments: